Monday, March 23, 2009

The Fruits of Parenting


I was very fortunate this past weekend to be able to attend a session of Time Out for Women. It was a very enriching experience and gave me much to ponder in my roles as woman, wife, and mother. Tonight I thought I would share a scripture chain from the talk How Can I Know If I'm Getting It Right? by Emily Watts. The scriptures are in bold, and my version of her words are underneath.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits" (Matthew 7:16).
-The fruits of motherhood are agonizingly slow to ripen.

"Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart" (Psalms 27:14).
-Don't forget that Heavenly Father loves my children as much as I do.

"And they were helped against them, and the Hagarites were delivered into their hand, and all that were with them: for they cried to God in the battle, and he was intreated of them; because they put their trust in him" (1 Chronicles 5:20).
-Parenting can indeed be a battle. In the midst of the battle, turn to the Lord.

"And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee" (Psalms 9:10).
-Sometimes the fruit doesn't ripen in this life. Be patient and trust in the Lord.

The key point of her talk is this: What if the fruits of parenting have less to do with how my children turn out, and more with how I turn out? How am I being changed and refined as a mother?

3 comments on "The Fruits of Parenting"

Our Loved-up Family on March 23, 2009 at 10:25 PM said...

What a great scripture chain - that's a keeper!

The Scott Family on March 24, 2009 at 9:16 AM said...

I am so pleased I have discovered your blog, and thankyou for this post! As a mother of 3 I can definately agree that parenting can be a battle, and during that battle we dont always remember to turn to the Lord, so thankyou for reminding me how much easier it would be if we do!

Tiffany on March 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM said...

I love the scriptures and the new ways to look at them. :) That would have been a fun day!

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez