Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I am woman. But mostly I am mother.


I Want to Be A Mother, by Janeen Jacobs Brady
When I grow up, I want to be a mother
and have a family:
one little, two little, three little babies of my own.
Of all the jobs for me I'll choose no other.
I'll have a family:
four little, five little, six little babies in my home.

And I will love them all day long
and give them cookies and milk and yellow balloons,
And cuddle them when things go wrong,
and read them stories and sing them pretty tunes.

I used to sing this song as a child, growing up in rural Alberta. I sang it to my dolls as I wrapped them tenderly in their blankets. As a very young girl, I knew what was most important.


Like any child, I went through stages of what I wanted to be when I grew up. A teacher. An author. An astronaut. An archeologist. When I went to college, I wanted to be a librarian. But I had trouble deciding on a major. I floated back and forth between English and Psychology. Eventually at BYU I figured out that Marriage, Family and Human Development was the major for me. Because no matter what I ended up doing as a job, my career, my role, was to be a mother. And I knew I would need all the help I could get.

Now I am a young mother of two sweet girls. And there are diapers and tantrums and messy floors and sleepless nights. And tears-sometimes from the babies, sometimes from the mama. But through it all, I am strengthened when I remember that mothering is a divine role. I am blessed with the power of motherhood. And there are so many sweet moments: hugs and kisses and songs and story time.

So Nurture Mama has been born. To nurture me and you, as we carry out our divine role to nurture our children.

When I grow up, if I can be a mother,
how happy I will be:
one little, two little, three little babies I can love.

And you will say each sister and each brother
all look a lot like me:
four little, five little, six little blessings from above.


4 comments on "I am woman. But mostly I am mother."

Roadrunner on July 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM said...

http://steveandsharlene.blogspot.com/2007/09/old-school-songs.html

I read your blog entry, and I hope this link works, because my sister posted that same song on her blog with her girls dancing to it. It is so cute! I thought you'd like it. (Sorry if it doesn't work)

Roadrunner on July 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM said...

I guess you just have to type it in.

Nurture Mama on July 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM said...

Thanks for sharing, that was adorable to see!

Kiwimommy on October 21, 2008 at 12:10 AM said...

Just thought I'd share that I found these songs online at http://mormontracks.com. I was able to download and save them as mp3s.

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez