Friday, September 12, 2008

To the Mothers in Zion: Be at the Crossroads


In 1987, President Benson gave a wonderful address entitled To the Mothers in Zion. In his talk he offers ten ways that mothers may spend effective time with their children. I think this talk is so good that I'm tempted to include the whole talk on this blog.

But rather than throwing you the entire talk at once, I will be offering it a snippet at a time. I don't know about you, but I know I learn better one step at a time. So for the next little while, I will be featuring the wise words of President Benson. Here is the first installment:

"Mothers in Zion, your God-given roles are so vital to your own exaltation and to the salvation and exaltation of your family. A child needs a mother more than all the things money can buy. Spending time with your children is the greatest gift of all.

"With love in my heart for the mothers in Zion, I would now like to suggest ten specific ways our mothers may spend effective time with their children.

"Be at the Crossroads. First, take time to always be at the crossroads when your children are either coming or going—when they leave and return from school, when they leave and return from dates, when they bring friends home. Be there at the crossroads whether your children are six or sixteen. In Proverbs we read, “A child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame” (Proverbs 29:15). Among the greatest concerns in our society are the millions of latchkey children who come home daily to empty houses, unsupervised by working parents."

Ezra Taft Benson, To the Mothers in Zion, address given at a fireside for parents, 22 February 1987.

2 comments on "To the Mothers in Zion: Be at the Crossroads"

Roadrunner on September 17, 2008 at 2:44 PM said...

What a wonderful quote! I love that emphasis on just being there for your children and it's importance. If I can't cook, clean or organize, at least I just be there for them! :)

Rachel on December 24, 2016 at 12:51 PM said...

Can you send me a link to this talk in text, if you have it? None of the reference links posted here actually take me there and I can't find it anywhere, except in video.

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez