Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Are you "in the box"?


During my senior year at BYU, I enrolled in a wonderful class that shaped my persepective and gave me a lot to think about. The class was MFHD 480: Moral Foundations of Family Life, taught by Dr. Terrance Olson. Our class sessions were full of thought-provoking discussions centered on the concept of a moral way of being.

One of the key readings for the class was a book by The Arbinger Institute, entitled Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting out of the Box.

While this book is not directly about mothering, it is appropriate to mention here because it has everything to do with interpersonal relationships. I recently re-read the book and have been thinking alot about how I am "in the box" toward my children and my husband.

What does "in the box" mean? Read this great review of the book by my amazing husband, and then go put Leadership and Self-Deception on hold at your local library. Read it, it's a book that will change how you think and help you strengthen your relationships.

2 comments on "Are you "in the box"?"

Hesses Madhouse on November 12, 2008 at 11:29 PM said...

Thank you for the review. Can't wait to read it. I can't wait to read more of your blog too. This very idea of nurturing and taking care of myself has been knocking around my brain a lot lately. I was so glad to find your blog.

Shauna on November 13, 2008 at 10:38 AM said...

I will have to read this book!

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez