Thursday, July 16, 2009

Prepared Mama: Personal Supplies for a 72-hr Kit


Next up on my Preparedness Project List was to make sure all of our personal supplies were up to date. Luckily most of these supplies were already gathered from my last push for preparedness a few years ago so I didn't have to do too much this round.
This is what I included in my kit:

A list of items in kit

Personal Hygiene Items

• Bar of soap, wash cloth, hand towel
• Travel size deodorant
• Hair elastics
• Travel size toothpaste and toothbrush
• Kleenex
• Insect repellent
• Cotton balls, Q-tips
• Toilet paper, wet wipes, hand sanitizer
• Feminine supplies
• Complete change of clothing (not shoes)

Tools, First Aid, Etc.
• Flashlight w/ batteries, matches, lighter, candle
• Emergency blanket
• Paper and pen
• 1 Garbage bag
• Mini First aid kit
• Rain poncho
• Whistle
• Family phone numbers
• Book of Mormon, small ball, deck of cards
• $41 cash

My husband's kit includes the same items, customized for a man. To keep things organized I packed like items in smaller Ziploc bags.

I realize this list of supplies is a little on the lean side. But I'm starting with the basics! Prepared LDS Family has a great list of supplies to include that is a little more thorough. Definitely go read her list.

Here are the loaded backpacks for myself and my husband. (Guess which is which!)
I picked up the backpacks on clearance a few years ago after the back to school rush, so now might be a good time to be working on this project. These backpacks also include our 3-day supply of food I described in detail here.

My next Preparedness Project will be to finish packing kits for my two children. I've been surveying experienced family members on tips for packing kits for young children, but I'll leave that for another post.

I'm beginning to feel like I've only just skimmed the surface when it comes to preparing my family for an emergency. 72-hr kits, emergency supplies, disaster plans, copies of important documents, car kits, food storage...the list goes on and on. But I'll keep working away at it--baby steps are better then no steps!

"...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear"
D&C 38:30
Helpful Resources
Prepared LDS Family: This site is amazing and very helpful! Read it, and you'll be inspired to do something to prepare your family!
If ye are prepared ye shall not fear: This thought-provoking site explores issues of preparedness for the coming hard times.
Team Freeman: Project Prepared Part 3: A real-life example of a 72-hr kit.
Ready.gov: Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.

1 comments on "Prepared Mama: Personal Supplies for a 72-hr Kit"

Tiffany on July 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM said...

Good for you! For some reason I never thought of hair elastics--what a wonderful thing! With 4 girls I really need to put those in. :)

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez