Wednesday, December 3, 2008

'Tis the Season


Our tree is up and our home is looking festive for the Christmas season. Today I thought I would share with you a few of the items on our "Activities for the Month of December" list:

1) Focus on Christ
The December 2008 issue of The Friend magazine includes this great activity. Each night we're reading the suggested scriptures about Jesus Christ and posting the related picture from the Gospel Art Kit. It's a great way for us to remember the reason behind the season.

2) Open a pocket everyday
The first year that we were married, my mother-in-law presented my husband and I with this wonderful advent calendar. Each day we open one pocket and find an ornament with which to decorate the tree. It looks a little sparse right now, but we're only on day 3.

3) Make paper snowflakes
Since we live in Florida, this will be the only snow we will see this year.

4) Take a family photo
I know we should have had this done by now, but we always seem to end up a little late. Here is our photo from last year. What do you think we will look like this year??

5) Read Christmas Books
Since I'm always looking for great books and ways to promote literacy, I thought this was a great idea. Find 25 Christmas books (or as many as you can), wrap them up and put them under your tree. Then everyday until Christmas your children can choose one to unwrap and read together.

My book shelf is a little sparse when it comes to Christmas books, so I consulted this book list and this one too and found some great titles, many of which are available at my local library. I'm headed there tomorrow to pick them up and start wrapping and reading!

6) Watch "It's a Wonderful Life"
This is my favorite holiday movie, with such a great message. It gives me warm fuzzies!

7) Take a walk at the duck pond and enjoy the holiday lights.

8) Make Christmas crafts with my family
Don't these look so cute and fun?

From Skip to My Lou



From Make and Takes

9) Prepare for a Piano Performance
This fall I added "Piano Teacher" to my list of responsibilities. I have six wonderful students, and we're having our first recital this month. I decided to share in the fun with my students and prepare Silent Night/ Still, Still, Still to perform, arrangement courtesy of Sally DeFord Music.

10) Make Sugar Cookies
We love to make and decorate sugar cookies for the holidays. Here is the best recipe I've ever tried (courtesy of the Family Cookbook):

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
4-5 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream sugar, butter and eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Roll out in flour to 1/4 inch thick and cut. Cook in 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes. Bottoms should be brown but tops should not be brown at all. These make a soft, cake-like cookies.

Mmmmm. They are delicious!

12) Sing lots of Christmas Carols

Silent Night, Joy to the World, Away in a Manger, Jingle Bells, The First Noel, O Holy Night, Silver Bells, We Three Kings, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Rudolph, Christmas is Coming, Do you hear what I Hear?, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Far Far Away on Judea's Plains, White Christmas...

Wow! I'm going to be busy, aren't I? What are you doing to celebrate the season in December?

5 comments on "'Tis the Season"

Tiffany on December 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM said...

Wow! Sounds like a great plan! :)

Jared on December 4, 2008 at 6:53 PM said...

Thanks for the post. It sounds like we'll have lots of nice Christmas things around the home. :)

RM Bowers on December 4, 2008 at 9:52 PM said...

Sounds like you are planning lots of fun activities... good ideas, too. We'll have to do a few.

Just a note. My calendar did that thing, too, where the hanging rope pulls in at the sides. I sanded the ends of the stick into a more tapered shape and applied a couple drops of hot glue, and the rope doesn't pull in anymore, even when Dallin hangs on it to get into his pocket.

Tiffany on December 7, 2008 at 5:47 PM said...

Aha! I just read Cactus Gal's comment! :) I've been meaning to send you a note. We figured out a way to keep it from sliding, too! I used hot glue (too!) to make a little ring around the dowel--kind of like a stopper. That worked for a while. Then one side came off and I just wound a little hair elastic on the dowel inside the cording. It worked great, too.

Nurture Mama on December 8, 2008 at 9:45 PM said...

Thanks for the great suggestions, ladies!

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez