Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A fairy skirt or a ballerina tutu...or a last minute Halloween costume


Making a tulle tutu for my girls has been on my list of projects to do for a long time. I finally felt motivated to work on it last week (and yes, it was an attempt to stop my girls from fighting over the adorable new fairy dress-up costume that the Sweet Bee received for her birthday).

There are 1000's of tutorials available online when it comes to making a tulle skirt, so I won't go into the full details here. But here are the most helpful "how-to" posts I found:

Knotted Tulle Skirt on This Journey
DIY: Satin Wrap a Tutu on Treasures for Tots
Cut Tulle Using a Quick and Easy Method on Treasures for Tots
Baby Chick Costume on Little Birdie Secrets

Big thanks to my sweet sisters-in-law Tiffany and Becky for their personal direction!

Here is the finished product.
A few notes:
  • I purchased my tulle by the yard at Wal-mart. I bought 5 yards, and it's quite poofy and fits my nearly 5-year old daughter.
  • I cut the tulle into strips 6 inches wide by 28 inches long. The length gets folded in half, so the finished tutu is 14 inches long. I wasn't too picky about making sure the measurements are exact.
  • At the advice of several people, I used ribbon for the waistband instead of elastic. Ribbon = no sewing! I measured my daughter's waist then added 2 feet or so to leave some length for tying a bow when it's time to wear it. I used 7/8 inches grosgrain ribbon (the kind that is ribbed). Just double-knot the tulle on the ribbon as you would for the elastic.
  • The Ant Bug is currently obsessed with the color pink, so of course that's what the tutu had to be. But I tied on some yellow ribbon for a colorful accent.
Here's the finished product on the smiling model. Now we're all set for Halloween!

4 comments on "A fairy skirt or a ballerina tutu...or a last minute Halloween costume"

Becky on October 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM said...

The skirt turned out great! It was so fun talking to you the other day.

The Kay Family on October 27, 2009 at 12:47 PM said...

Looks great!! She'll be perfect for Halloween and dress-ups now.

The Wessman Family on October 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM said...

I made one for Abby for her birthday. (It also goes with her costume.) She loves it! I was surprised how easy it was and how quickly I was able to get it done!

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com on October 11, 2011 at 3:01 AM said...

Ant Bug is ADORABLE!!! Her tutu came out wonderful!! I'm so glad you found my tutorials helpful and thank you for linking!!!

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez