Friday, August 21, 2009

Hands


The Book

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins

The Song
Where is Thumbkin?
Where is Thumbkin?
Here I am, here I am.
How are you today, sir?
Very well, I thank you.
Run away, Run away.
(Repeat with Pointer, Middle Man, Ring Man and Small Man)

The Activity
A touch and feel sensation station.
Gather a variety of objects and put them in small containers. Here is what I used: pompoms, feathers, craft beads, rotini noodles, rice, oats, yogurt, sugar, and an ice cube. You can use whatever you have on hand, just look for a variety of textures.

I blindfolded my children and then one at a time let them touch and feel the contents of each container. We talked about how it felt (Is it hard or soft? Does it feel wet or dry? etc) and sometimes the Ant Bug was able to guess what it was (but that wasn't a requirement).

Afterward we traced our hands and decorated them with finger paint.

Without prompting, the Ant Bug even added finger numbers to her hands, something she's learned from piano lessons.

1 comments on "Hands"

Tiffany on August 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM said...

I love your book and activity combos! Good job!

 

Nurture Mama Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez